Some fun facts concerning Indiana's top crop:
- #1 crop in Indiana and in the world; Indiana #5 in nation for corn production.
- The World's Food - Americans consume 17 billion quarts of popped popcorn annually or 54 quarts per man, woman and child.
- Each year, a single U.S. farmer provides food and fiber for 129 people - 97 in the U.S. and 32 overseas.
- One tiny seed can produce between 8000 - 1000 new plants.
- In the U.S., corn production measures more than two times that of any other crop.
- There are over 3,500 uses for corn.
- Seventy-five percent of all grocery items contain corn in some processed form.
- One bushel of corn sweetens more than 400 cans of soda.
- The average American consumes nearly two bushels of corn annually in the form of corn sweeteners.
- Corn as a renewable resource can be beneficial in making products such as ethanol fuel, ethanol windshield washer fluid, CMA (calcium magnesium acetate) road de-icer and other degradable products made from corn starch.
- Corn is the main ingredient in most dry pet food.
- Corn is beneficial to the environment as it absorbs carbon dioxide and gives off oxygen (just like a rainforest).
- Corn is grown on every continent except Antarctica.
- Exports are critical to the well being of American agriculture. Nearly one third of our nation's corn crop is targeted for exports.
- A pound of corn consists of approximately 1,300 kernels.
Food and Fuel America.com
Good and Balanced Food and Fuel News!
Post a Comment