The article lays out the industries aggressive campaign which includes:
- Pocketing billions in ethanol subsidies while working against the E85 blend with tactics both overt and stealthy.
- Funding studies that bash the spread of ethanol for driving up the price of corn
- Not supporting E85 pumps at gas stations.
- Funding an anti-ethanol information campaign. "In June the API [American Petroleum Institute] released a study it commissioned from research firm Global Insight Inc. The conclusions are far from universally accepted, but they have been picked up and promoted by anti-ethanol groups like the Coalition for Balanced Food & Fuel Policy."
- Using oil-stained academics to promote their message: "There is perhaps no one more hostile to ethanol than Tad W. Patzek, a geo-engineering professor at the University of California at Berkeley. A former Shell petroleum engineer, Patzek co-founded the UC Oil Consortium, which studies engineering methods for getting oil out of the ground. It counts BP, Chevron USA, Mobil USA, and Shell among its funders."
"Big Oil is at the top of the list for blocking the spread of ethanol acceptance by consumers and the marketplace," says Loren Beard, senior manager for energy planning and policy at Chrysler, referring to the struggle to get E85 pumps installed.It's good to see, at least one major media company, can see through the industry's deceitful efforts to discredit alternative energy.
Source: Business Week.com
American Petroleum Institute API
- Big Oil's War on Ethanol
- New Report Addresses Ethanol Issues
- Find Alternative Fuel Locations
- Jay Leno Demystifies Ethanol
Food and Fuel America.com
Good and Balanced Food and Fuel News!
Post a Comment