That was the question for former senator Fred Thompson on the campaign trail. It's probably no real surprise but the republican presidential candidate now sees the tremendous benefits of ethanol. In fact, he cited national and economic security (dead link) as reasons for his support of ethanol. In Iowa, of all places. Imagine that.
A quick check of his official campaign website finds that he supports a wide variety of energy sources:
The energy challenges our nation faces today are real and significant. Our dependence on foreign sources of oil threatens our national security and puts our economic prosperity at risk. America must rise to the challenge and take the steps necessary to become more energy independent before this becomes a crisis. No one solution will solve the energy challenges we face; all ideas must be on the table. Greater energy security will enhance our ability to pursue our foreign policy and national security objectives. Increasing our energy independence and investing in alternative energy sources will also produce a healthier environment. And while we don’t know for certain how or why climate change is occurring, it makes sense to take reasonable steps to reduce CO2 emissions without harming our economy. Overall, I am committed to:
- A balanced approach to energy security that increases domestic supplies, reduces demand for oil and gas, and promotes alternative fuels and other diverse energy sources.
- Investing in renewable and alternative fuels to promote greater energy independence and a cleaner environment.
- An energy policy that invests in the advanced technologies of tomorrow and places more emphasis on conservation and energy efficiency.
- Conducting research and development into technologies that improve the environment, especially the reduction of CO2 emissions.
- Barak Obama Supports Biofuels
- Hillary Clinton Proposes Strategic Energy Fund
- Joe Biden Proposes Renewable Fuel Objectives
- John Edwards Support Biofuels
- Mike Huckabee Promotes Energy Independence With Biofuels
- Mitt Romney Advocates Alternative Energy like Biodiesel and Ethanol
- Rudy Giuliani Commits to Ethanol and Biofuels
Food and Fuel America.com
Good and Balanced Food and Fuel News!