Michael Grunwell’s sweeping indictment of the biofuels movement in “The Clean Energy Scam” was the most stunning piece of misinformation I have seen published in a major news outlet. The article laid the blame for everything from destabilization in Pakistan to deforestation in Brazil at the feet of biofuel. Astonishingly, Grunwell did not quote a single supporter of the cleaner-burning fuel in the cover article! The simple facts are these:Source: American Lung Association of the Upper Midwest
Space does not allow for me to point out the many errors in fact, rampant speculation, and use of discredited data and opinion contained in Grunswell’s article – I’m sure others will step up to that task. Let me just say that the American Lung Association of the Upper Midwest remains a strong supporter of cleaner-burning biofuels such as E85 and biodiesel, and we reject its unfair labeling as a “scam.”
- There is a clear scientific consensus that vehicles using E85 or biodiesel emit significantly less air pollution than those using traditional fuels.
- A typical E85 user prevents 4 tons of lifecycle carbon dioxide (CO2) and other harmful pollutants from entering our air every year.
- The National Renewable Energy Laboratory reports that biodiesel (B100) use reduces lifecycle carbon dioxide emissions by 78%.
CEO American Lung Association of the Upper Midwest
- Give Ethanol a Chance: The Case for Corn-based Ethanol
- America Celebrates Ag Day!
- Weird Science: New Reports Flawed
- 10 Years of Cleaner Air
- Biofuels Beat Oil by Any Environmental Measure
Food and Fuel America.com
Good and Balanced Food and Fuel News!